For more about dance music see our home page at http://www.LoveMusicLoveDance.com
You Can Learn to Dance Salsa!
NOTE: Phil Seyer teaches salsa in Concord, Ca. To learn more about this salsa class in Concord, CA see this salsa page.
Below is a nice intro to salsa. The first part of this video is a demo. Don’t let it scare you. The lesson starts at 59 seconds into the video!
►To get the most from this video, be sure to check your understanding by answering the progress check questions below the video!
Salsa Progress Check (Right Turn)
1. What does the leader do on count 1 to indicate a salsa turn is coming? On count 2 what does leader do?
2. By what count does the leader have his hand up.
3. On what count or counts does the follower turn?
4. Does the follower’s right foot stay in the same place on count 6?
Check your answers below:
1. On count 1, the leader lowers his land. One way to do this is to draw the first part of the letter “J” downward. On count 2, the leader may retrace the movement lifting his hand up.
2. By count 3, the leader has raised his hand high to help lead the turn.
3. The follower turns on 5 and 6. By 7 follower has finished the turn and holds for count 8.
4. Yes. The follower pivots on the right foot on count 6, but the right foot stays in the same position.
Cross Body Lead Progress Check
(Instruction for cross body lead starts at 3:46)
1. On what count does the leader step out of the “slot”
with his right foot?
2. By what count is the leader at a 90 degree angle to the follower?
3. What does the leader do on count 5? Count 6? Count 7? Count 8?
4. On what count does the follower step forward with her left foot?
1. On count 2, the leader steps out of the slot to get out of the follower’s way.
2. By count 3, the leader needs to be at a 90 degree angle to the follower.
3. On Count 5, the leader steps onto his right foot with a tiny back step.
On Count 6 he steps back into the slot. ON count 7 the leader steps onto his right foot squaring himself off with the follower. On Count 8 the leader doesn’t step. (Detail on Count 8 the leader straightens his right leg and allows his right hip to extend to the right.)
4. On Count 5 the follower steps forward onto her left foot.
Open Break to Change Places Under Arm Turn
See video at 7:59
1. On count 1 the leader steps ______ with his ______ foot.
2. On count 2 the leader slides his right foot slightly to the ____ and pivots to the ______.
3. By count 3, the leader is facing __________
5. On count 5, the leader h_____s his right foot forward/back (pick one).
1. On count 1 the leader steps back with his left foot.
2. On count 2 the leader slides his right foot slightly to the left and pivots to the right.
3. By count 3, the leader is facing across the slot with his shoulders parallel to the follower’s
5. On count 5, the leader hooks his right foot back